Last Updated on September 26, 2021
Wine Racks vs. Wine Coolers: Both wine racks and the wine coolers may be used to store wine, so why might you prefer one over the other?
- Wine coolers are most useful to provide a temperature controlled environment to store your wine.
- You will need electricity to power your wine coolers.
Wine racks, on the other hand, are an inexpensive and attractive solution to wine storage in areas:
- where temperature control is not so important or
- where the whole environment is temperature controlled.
One of our more Popular general purpose racks:
Wooden Wine Racks
Our choice for a large capacity wooden wine rack
- This beautiful and unique wine rack is specially created by the artist to help you taste delicious red or white wine with your friends!
- Each wine rack can be installed in the kitchen, restaurant or any place where you want to enjoy delicious fresh bottles, this is a wise choice!
- Solid wood building.
- Assembly is simple, assembly can be completed within a few minutes.
- Unique craftsmanship, strict selection of materials, created a beautiful product.
Things to consider when purchasing a wooden wine rack
Décor Flexibility – Wood wine racks are preferred by many because of their versatility in capacity, function, and appearance. The reasons many people prefer wooden wine racks include:
- Flexibility of design – options of Free Standing, Built In, Counter Top, Wall Mount, Stacking, Stacking Cubes
- Flexibility in achieving a particular style or décor
- Flexible material and finish; for example, if you prefer cherry, walnut, oak, or something else? Do you prefer a natural finish or a stained and varnished finish?
- Do you prefer a utilitarian or decorative style? Do you prefer modern decor or scalloped styling?
- Do you prefer a wooden wine rack that looks new or a wine rack that is perhaps distressed or built from a recycled shipping pallet?
- Do you want to buy a wine rack that is finished for you or are you looking for a DIY wine rack project? DIY wine racks can be an easy and fulfilling project to add a personal touch to your home.
The aesthetic of beauty of wood: The warmth of wooden wine racks – by nature, wood is generally a material lending warmth to the environment, whereas other materials may lend a more industrial feel. Often wine cellars are built to exude a warmth that may be complemented by wood wine racks.
This wooden wine rack is exceptionally well reviewed by many customers— it is perfect for a cellar or wine room, and it fits your large capacity needs and décor.
Advantages: Sturdy, wobble-free; 200 bottle capacity; Assembles without tools.
Disadvantages: May be too large for some spaces. For other options check out these great wooden wine racks.
Metal Wine Racks
Our choice for a large capacity metal wine rack:
- Capacity varies depending on the size and shape of the bottles stored
- Simple Assembly required
- Store up to 126 bottles
A metal wine rack is another obvious choice. A metal wine rack is frequently made out of stainless steel, but may be made out of chromed steel or steel racks with a different finish.
This metal wine rack has great reviews from purchasers. It is sturdy and has a large storage capacity.
Advantages: Strong; Made of Heavy-duty chrome-plated steel; Sleek, contemporary styling; 160+ bottle capacity; Easy to assemble.
Disadvantages: Chromed steel may not match your decor; Capacity varies with the size of bottles stored.
Pallet Wine Racks
Best selling Pallet Rack:
- Wall mounted peg board pallet style barnwood wine hanging rack with burnt brown finish
- Features 20 slots for storing wine and champagne bottles **Bottles not included**
- Great for adding rustic accent and sufficient storage to your home kitchen, restaurant or wine cellar
- Can be easily installed onto wall surfaces with proper hardware (Mounting hardware not included)
- Approximate Dimensions: 30.75 H x 21.0 W x 3.0 D (in inches)
Pallet Wine Racks are those constructed from shipping pallets. These are often DIY wine racks, and designs are plentiful on the web. There are also a number of Pallet Wine Racks available that are premade. These wine racks generally have a rustic appearance.
We are fans of using reclaimed and sustainable material as much as we can. This wine rack has the benefit of using recycled material. The reclaimed wood adds character to any home.
Advantages: It holds twenty bottles of wine. Stores both wine and champagne bottles.
Disadvantages: You need to buy hardware to mount it to the wall. The rustic walnut wood color may not fit ultra-modern stainless steel décor.
Wall Mounted Wine Racks
Here is our choice for a modern 24 bottle metal wall mount rack.
- The 8-foot Wall Series kit combines our most popular sized metal wine racks to allow for a eight-foot tall display. This package includes two 4-foot...
- Capacity: 24 standard 750ml bottles (single-bottle depth)
- Installs direct to drywall, wood and other surfaces
- Steel construction
- 3 standard finishes
A Wall Mounted Wine Rack may be made of any material, but they deserve a unique category because of their specific design and functionality. Wall mount wine racks may range in capacity from only a few bottles to hundreds of bottles, but we generally see wall mounted wine racks that hold a case or less of wine. Since these are generally prominently displayed racks, it is no surprise that they come in a wide variety of styles.
Table-top Wine Racks
Our choice for a table-top wine rack: The 12-bottle Oceanstar WR1132 Wine Rack
- Holds 12 bottles
- Efficiently maximize storage space
- Minimal assembly required
- Complements & matches any home & countertop design
- Assembled Dimensions: 15. 75" H x 5. 75" D x 11. 75" W
Like Wall Mounted Wine Racks, Table Top Wine Racks may be made of any material and have a unique purpose. Table top wine racks typically have limited capacities of 6-12 bottles and are commonly used to hold and display the wines to be consumed at a specific meal or occasion.
This Ocenstar 12-bottle wine rack is made of a sustainable material, bamboo. This model looks best in a modern décor, or design color palate that supports dark espresso color. We like both its form and function that maximize storage of 12-bottle with minimum space area – an ideal storage to display on a table or a countertop. We also like its sturdy design that stores wine bottles horizontally (versus vertically).
Advantages: This Ocenstar 12-bottle wine rack has a modern design to fit contemporary decor. Convenient table-top storage for 12-bottle wines. Sturdy racks that are well-design and well-built. It is easy to assemble.
Disadvantage: This modern design with dark espresso color may not fit some design color palate.
Our choice for a medium capacity wine jail: The 45-bottle Wine Enthusiast Renaissance Wrought Iron Wine Jail
- HOLDS 45 BOTTLES - Proudly display your favorite varietals. Perfect for storing a whole collection, this large standing wine rack can store up to 45...
- LOCKABLE - Easily control access to your home cellar. Conveniently features a slide-lock latch door that allows you to keep your wines out of reach of...
- BEAUTIFUL ACCENT PIECE - Guard your wine in grand style. Ornate metal scrollwork comes finished in an antique bronze that evokes the artistry of the...
- WROUGHT IRON - As substantial as it is stylish, this sturdy wine stand is soldered with solid iron bars and arrives fully assembled.
- DIMENSIONS - The wine storage measures 48.25"H x 16.25"W x 14.5"D.
A Wine Jail is really a piece of wine rack furniture intended to hold your wine. Typically, a wine jail is an intricately designed piece of furniture constructed of metal and meant to be prominently displayed in your home. They are often wrought iron wine racks.
The look of wrought iron is timeless – as the Eiffel tower is constructed from a form of wrought iron (puddled iron). If you like the look of scroll motif, this renaissance-style wine jail brings a classic element of wrought iron ornamental décor to any space. It has a capacity of 45 bottles (standard Bordeaux size wine bottles). The door swings from left to right.
Advantages: This Wine Enthusiast 45-bottle wine rack comes fully-assembled. It has a classic design – timeless wrought iron and beautiful scroll-work motif. It has an elegant solid color of black undercoat with rich bronze. It has a latch to allow for a padlock.
Disadvantage: You will need to get a padlock if you want to lock the door.
Wine Rack Buying Guide
Whether you are looking for a six bottle wine rack to sit on your counter or large capacity wine racks to organize your wine cellar, check out our buying check list at the bottom of this page for things to consider when choosing a wine rack. We now guide you to some of the best recommended wine racks, and review the pros and cons in each category:
Why wine racks are appealing to many?
Wine racks provide a convenient, affordable, and stylish way to store and present your wine collection. Attractively and safely storing wine is important for every wine enthusiast, and there are many choices to be made, including:
- The material from which the wine rack is constructed
- How it fits with your décor
- The capacity of that wine rack, and
- Its intended purpose, for example, storage in a wine cellar or to be displayed as a table top wine rack, a wall mounted wine rack, etc.).
Which wine rack to fit your decor and storage needs?
Wine racks come in a variety of materials and a nearly endless variety of styles and decor. Which wine rack will best fit your decor and storage needs? For example,
- You may prefer a wooden wine rack for its warmth and beauty, or
- You may prefer a metal wine rack for its durability and style.
Within each of these materials, you are offered a dazzling number of solutions:
- A wooden wine rack might be very simple and minimally finished to focus on price and storage capacity.
- Alternately, a wooden wine rack might be an exquisitely finished product to enhance the decor of your home.
- As yet another alternative, pallet wine racks (those made from used shipping pallets) have gained favor and make their own kind of styling statement and are generally inexpensive.
What to consider when buying a Wine rack:
- Capacity: how much wine do you want to store in your wine rack?
- Size and dimensions: where will you put your wine rack? How big is your space available for your wine rack? The measurements of width, depth and height are important. If you are getting a wine jail that has a door, check whether you want the door open to the left or to the right.
- Budget: what is your budget? Some wine racks are amazingly budget friendly, but you should overtly consider this decision.
- Material: this is often related to styling/décor; is there a reason that you would specifically prefer one material over another?
- Styling/décor: Again, this is related to the previous bullet. Does the room in which the wine rack will reside reflect a particular material or style? Is the predominant décor stainless steel and glass or warm, finished woods?